28.2.11

Rain, rain.




Whelp,* here I am, talking about the weather again.  There is a distinct chance that I am so awkward that the only social interactions I can survive, even with the interwebs, consist of small-talk.  Seriously.  Half of my walking-to-dinner conversations with my roommate are about the weather, and we live together.

Anyway, it is actually getting pretty interesting up in here.  Last night there were thunderstorms that washed away most of the snow (woo!) and tornado warnings (woo...) and flash flood warnings (whew).  And the other day I read an article about some Amish children who were swept away by a flood while they were on their way to make a phone call.  Just the headline made me so sad that I couldn't even look at the actual article.

But it also sort of made me laugh. 

Am I terrible?!!

I think I am terrible.


To sum up:  Rain.  It's scary.  And also sometimes a little bit funny.




*Totally unnecessary side note:  I almost took the H out of "whelp," but then I left it in because whelp is actually a real word.  This is the definition, according to Word's handy dictionary:

whelp [welp, hwelp]
n (plural whelps)
1.  young animal: a young animal, especially the young of carnivorous mammals such as wolves, lions, bears, and dogs 
2.  child: a child or young person 
3.  rude young man: a boy or young man regarded as showing inappropriate boldness or lack of deference (insult) 
4.  nautical ridge on capstan or windlass: a projection on the barrel of a capstan or windlass 
5.  mechanical engineering tooth on wheel: a tooth on a sprocket wheel 


vti (past and past participle whelped, present participle whelp·ing, 3rd person present singular whelps)
 bear young: to give birth to young, especially baby carnivores 



I don't even know what my favorite part of this definition is, except that I'm pretty sure it's the verb definition part.  I also like that you can pronounce it hwelp.  Just like Coo' Hwip.



Image via Under the Gables.

No comments:

Post a Comment